Monday, January 12, 2009

Some Photos

The 1st photo of my trip:


(There is only one, because I haven't been able to get any others to upload before a server timeout occurs.) This one from my arrival on Brussels Airlines at Kigali airport has a strange effect from dirt on my camera lens that made it seem like it was snowing. I promise you it was NOT snowing. It was a humid upper 70's F when I arrived on Saturday night. On Sunday, 11-Jan, I walked around the Kigali city center that is near my hotel--Iris Guest House. The hotel is very basic, but nice. I have WiFi access there and get a continental breakfast for $55/night. I purchased a cheap mobile phone and get some lunch. There is a very modern shopping center nearby that has a 24hr supermarket that is the Rwanda version of Walmart (they have everything!). I found the hospital and offices of IntraHealth where I'll be working. It was hot and humid, with a short afternoon shower. It is true that very few places accept anything other than cash (Rwandan Francs). I have seen ATMs, but they only work with local Rwanda banks.

Though there is an emphasis on becoming a more English-speaking nation, most people I spoke with expected me to speak French. Of course, I don't speak French and many don't speak English. However, there was generally someone nearby who was able to help me. At the ORTPN (The National Park & Tourist Office) they spoke English and answered all my questions about seeing the Gorillas at Volcanoes National Park in the North and taking a game safari at Akagera National Park in the East. I got a couple of maps and decided to make my travel plans later.

2 comments:

  1. Dave,
    Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. Best wishes. Keep the posts coming so. -H

    ReplyDelete