Saturday, January 10, 2009

Landed safely

Hi everyone!
Though it was a long day of travel, I have arrived in Kigali with all my bags and very excited about the opportunity. I'm sitting at the airport waiting for Andrew, the IntraHealth driver, to pick up a bag that was lost earlier this week by someone else. Unlike O'hare, Kigali's airport WiFi is working and FREE!

I met one of the IntraHealth administrators, Sara, in the Brussels airport and she was joined by 2 other colleagues. They sat toward the front of the coach section and I was in the 2nd to last row. I read a lot and slept some. I sat on the rear right of the plane in a window seat so I had a great view the Alps, the Mediterranean, and the Saharan desert from 50,000ft before watching a beautiful sunset. Once it was dark, all I could see were faint orange lights below in the darkness for the last 3 hours. I sat next to a woman named Kris who is Belgian and is working with the parliament in Sudan. She was going to travel there tomorrow. She has spent lots of time in Rwanda as well and gave me lots of advice about what to see, where to go, and more. We had a very soft landing. Overall, it was a an easy flight. I could feel the humidity before I walked off the plane, but was surprised that it is pleasantly cool tonight. All can see from the front of the airport are lights in the distance. It is overcast, so I can't see any stars or the moon.

It turns out that the Twubakane group is having a party tomorrow afternoon at the IntraHealth offices which I plan to go to. I also plan to walk around Kigali, get a feel for the place, find a mobile phone store and book our Gorilla trekking permits. As soon as I get settled in my hotel and get a chance to take some photos, I'll post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment